Perhaps it's the crunching of fallen leaves underfoot transitioning to the soft hush of falling show, or it's the smell of woodsmoke and clove rich in the air...
Maybe it's the darkness which, when it comes at 4:30pm, basically requires an endless supply of beeswax candles to be trimmed, lit, and kept burning at all times, or maybe it's the abiding warmth of the fresh deliveries of soft, thistle-scented woolen blankets that keep pouring in from chillier climes (and that we can't help but nuzzling into by the armload)... whatever it is, we are feeling snug as bugs in rugs. The only thing that could possibly make us feel even cozier? One of Anna's legendary Hot Toddies, of course. Ahhhhhh, that's the stuff!
Every year when the temperatures drop, we always revisit her instructions, tweaking it with whatever delightful new teas, tinctures, or syrups have made their way into the shop in the intervening months and employing heretofore-unknown to us tools + new-favorite-mugs.
As with most things "Anna" (read more about that here) it's less of a "recipe" per se, and more of a loose collection of general guidelines on how to do things right. More ginger, less lemon, more honey, less whiskey... tweak to your preferences, break out your favorite mug, put on some music (this is our current required-Hot-Toddy-Listening-Soundtrack), and stay cozy!
Anna's Hot Toddy
- Grab your favorite teapot or kettle and steep a ton of tea. An herbal tea with cinnamon or ginger type profiles are especially lovely (and be sure to use enough to make it strong!). We love Bellocq's Afghani Chai and Charleston teas.
- and/or: add orange bitters, a little splash of lemon juice, a bit of fresh grated or powdered ginger, (sometimes we buy a fresh pressed gingery/detox juice from the grocery or our buddies at Truce and use that in place of the squeeze of lemon juice and ginger. The detox juices have a a lot of ginger-power and lemon-power too plus usually something built-in for sweetness).
- and/or: we also love adding a splash of one of these small batch syrups, inspired by the European bistro tradition.
- and/or: add a splash of apple cider or honey... maybe other things if they're around. Definitely adjust to taste! Anna doesn't like them as sweet (and our Foundry-fave syrups have just the right amount of sweetness) so she tends to hold back on the honey.
- and/or: finally, if you're feeling it ... add whiskey!