Every Friday The Foundry Home Goods contributes 5% of our total sales to a different community-nominated small-and-mighty cause. This Friday's Foundry Giving Friday recipient? Simpson Housing!
Simpson Housing is a long-standing Minneapolis non-profit dedicated to housing, supporting, and advocating for people experiencing homelessness. From their beginnings in the basement of Simpson United Methodist Church in 1982, Simpson Housing was one of the first Minnesota groups to use the "housing first" methodology: individuals and families are placed into housing immediately then supported with identified services to help address barriers. In response to unmet community needs, their services have grown to include five key programs: emergency shelter, supportive housing programs for youth, single adults, and families – along with developmental and educational services for children of families in the Family Housing Program. Simpson Housing says it best themselves:
- We believe that everybody has the right to safe and affordable housing.
- We celebrate and embrace the uniqueness and dignity of every person.
- We encourage people to draw upon their strengths and promote the power of self-advocacy.
- We advocate against the injustices of society that cause homelessness and poverty.
- We strive to create a collaborative community with the individuals we serve, within Simpson, and with the greater community.
And we couldn't agree more. If you don't need anything from us, please consider investing directly in Simpson Housing here. If you do find yourself in need of fresh beeswax or a new sheepskin know that your purchase goes to support good change happening on the community level.
Thanks to Rosa F. for the nomination!
If YOU have a worthy cause to nominate for our Foundry Giving Friday initiative, pop on over to our Nomination Page and drop us a line. We're all in this together.